HOW TO ANSWER IT SMART: IELTS WRITING TASK 2 | IELTS STUDY SERIES
This time I will explain how I answer IELTS writing task 2, which is definitely for dummies. If you really don’t have time to study more, and wanna study it in one night rush, this is worth to keep for your foundation to answer IELTS Writing Task 2. As IELTS writing task 2 always considered as the most difficult part of the whole IELTS test.
The format used to answer IELTS writing task 2, frankly also used on Essay on The Spots for LPDP Scholarship. Not all the LPDP Scholarship participant has IELTS writing background (of course because not all study IELTS, some choose to study TOEFL instead, for those who are going to study to USA, or other countries than England and Australia). Therefore, this page is the place for you to study How to answer IELTS Writing task 2 quickly. However before you move on, please take a look at basic IELTS Writing Hacks that I have wrote here and don’t forget to use this IELTS Writing answer form in all of your practices.
So here we go.
A. Understand the rules
- the total word limit is 250 words, you cannot write too much, or less. Therefore, always use this formula 2-5-5-2. You will do fine with this.
- What I mean for 2-5-5-3 is explained below:
- Introduction = 2 sentences
- Body 1 = 5 sentences
- Body 2 = 5 sentences
- Conclusion = 2 sentences
- 1 sentences = 13 words (try the best on this)
- This IELTS writing task 2 only 40 minutes, so think and write fast
- You don’t need to put title for this essay.
B. Plan Your Essay
- Make your essay structure to be 4 paragraphs, as on the formula 2-5-5-2
- The easiest way to answet this IELTS essay test is bu answering with mixed opinion essay, which you explain 2 sides/perspectives. Why this way the easiest? It because it will be easier for you to find two sides ideas that are still relevant to be written, than just writing strong opinion essay, as you have to be very critical to find ideas that all strongly support your opinion agree or disagree.
- Remember this structure:
- Introduction: topic + response (2 sentences)
- Body/Paragraph 1 explaining topic; other side (5 sentences)
- You can find those topics on Ibham Reza book. In that book he mentions many ideas per topic. Therefore you don’t have to think hard, and just insert the ideas in on your essay.
- Body/Paragraph 2 explaining topic; your side (5 sentences)
- Conclusion: repeat your response (2 sentences)
- Remember that on this conclusion section, never put any new idea. You only rephrasing back your statement agree or disagree from the introduction (paraphrasing).
C. Follow and Apply it
- Why? All I mentioned here are essential. For instance, you have to respond agree or disagree or have mixed opinion (first agree and then disagree). Otherwise your answer will be unclear, therefore you will lose the score for task response.
- Conclusion part is very important. If you run out of time and still dealing with Body 2, quickly jump to make conclusion. Without conclusion your score will fall drastically. And also remember that on conclusion, do not put any new ideas, just paraphrasing your statement on introduction.
- Why body 2 has to be your side of opinion? This is because it is easier to explain the contrary first, then pro. Therefore your conclusion will go in line with the body 2. There you got a nice essay flow.
LETS TAKE A LOOK!
These are sample essays from IELTS Simon. Let’s find what are the similarities from how Simon writes those essays.
Look at their structures, can you find the similarities and find pattern?
And what are the similarities on those essays?
LET’S LOOK ON THE ESSAY CAREFULLY!
Can you see the pattern?
Therefore we can see the pattern always the same, as here below.
People have different views about (general topic)
While some argue that (-) , I believe that (+)
There are various reasons why people believe that (general sentence (-)).
(idea 1 (-)).
(idea 2 (-)).
(idea 3 (-)).
Finally, (idea 4 summing up (-)).
In spite of these arguments, I believe that (general sentence (+).
(idea 1 (+)).
(idea 2 (+)).
(idea 3 (+)).
If this were the case,… (idea 4 summing up (+)).
In conclusion, Although it might seem sensible ….(-)…,
I personally prefer …(+).
Of course this is not the only way to answer IELTS writing task 2, however generally the writing structures are similar everywhere you study IELTS. And also on IELTS, not only the format is important, you of course need to put attention of the correct grammar. Do not make a spelling error, and punctuation.
Some book such as IELTS advantage writing will advise you with little bit different structure, especially on the introduction which they advise you write to be longer. This is different with Simon, he explain that introduction part does not necessarily to be long, just as enough to answer your task response. Why this because task response is one of score component which is 25%, so please answer directly to the topic. In this case, I choose to use Simon advices.
Book I suggest for Studying IELTS Writing
I cannot find any other substitute for this book, as this book provide many Topics and brainstorm of those topics which is incredibly useful for answering IELTS Writing Task 2. But gracefully, it is available online to be downloaded for free in here. You can just skip all part, and jump to page 58. I even printed those pages 58-114. Those topic is useful in writing, when the essay question is about topic you are not familiar, which make it difficult for you to build arguments. Also the topics will be useful for IELTS Speaking test too, as basically IELTS speaking test is like writing test, which you have to explain, build argument but grammatically correct ways.
Although this book is not sufficient to help you answer IELTS writing task 2, however this book is very helpful in giving you complete rules of answering IELTS task 1 and 2. It could be very handy for you to familiarize yourself in studying IELTS writing.
Have Questions About This Learn IELTS Fast?
Comment Below and I’ll Answer Them!
I am always checking on my blog for new comments regularly.
So if you need help related to this IELTS Study , feel free to comment and I will pop back on and answer them as soon as possible!